Valentine's Day traditionally is a day to show and
celebrate love. So why do not take this as a chance to show your love for Free Software this year?
#ilovefs day 2013
As every year, Valentine's Day will be celebrated on the 14th of
February, which will be a Thursday this year. Similar to last year, the FSFE is
planning an online campaign to celebrate this day as an "I love Free
Software" - Day.
Campaign: Spread your love for Free Software
Our online campaign aims at rising awareness to Free Software and the
passionate, hard-working people behind it. Show them that you appreciate their
work – it could make all the difference! Others already did so, to get
inspired you can read why they
love Free Software.
Of course, there are lots of ways to declare one's love... Here are just
some ideas about how you can go public and proclaim your love to Free
- E-Mail/Letters Send active Free Software supporters a
message thanking them for their work. Do not underestimate the effects of
such a message. As many Free Software developers work hard for their projects
without earning money, a big "thank you" / "love you" is like good fuel for
their further encouragement
- Microblog Especially on Valentine's Day, microblog about
how you love Free Software, and use the Hashtag #ilovefs. Encourage
your friends to do as well, let us try to push our message in a high ranking on Twitter
trends and hashtag timelines in identi.ca and other blogging system.
- Blog If you are a Blogger, blog about the "I love Free
Software" - Day and the idea behind it. Get people attracted by the idea of
- Banners We set up a page
showing different banners that support the "I love Free Software" - Day
and that are free to use. Some even come along with code snippets to easily
implement it on your homepage or blog.
Show your love - Individually
- Hug a developer (Obviously better to ask permission first ; )
- Buy your favourite developer a drink. Or buy someone else a drink and
while savouring it, tell him/her about your favorite Free Software
- Use your lunch break at work to talk with your colleagues about Free
Software and why it is worth to support our movement.
- Send a book to your favourite
contributor and support FSFE at the same
- Send us pictures of how
you are expressing your feelings for Free Software. We will publish them
on our website, making a gallery of Free Software lovers from around the
- Wear shirts and sweaters showing your support for Free Software. If
you need new stuff, you can order some from
us, or from your favourite Free Software project.
- Money can't buy you love... but it can help to fight for your freedom. Donate to FSFE or another Free
Software initiative to express your gratitude. They depend on your
contribution to continue their work. So check out your favourite organisation
and make a donation. You can be sure they will love you back.