Thank you for celebrating #ilovefs the whole day without borders
On February 14th, people around the globe were
celebrating the "I love Free Software" day. To all of you, thank you very
much for participating in our #ilovefs-campaign and
for showing your support for Free
Software on this day. We were really
excited about your creativity and participiation. All these love
declarations went out to the developers, users and wizards behind Free
Software and their communities. While some of you dedicated their love to
specific programs that you enjoy most. We are pretty sure that their
developers and users have read your love declarations and that your love
will motivate them to carry on their good work. Here are just a few
examples and highlights of your love declarations.
"I love Free Software because we depend more and more upon software, in
every moment of our lives. It is software that handles our email and
social network activities when we communicate; it is software that
controls our ovens and fridges when to prepare our meals; it is software
that drives cars and airplanes when we travel around the world; it is
software that keeps many of us alive when we need hospital equipment or
bio-medical devices like pacemakers. A world without Free Software
means being held hostage by proprietary software authors that run our
lives. I love Free Software because it can set us free."
Dr. Stefano Zacchiroli, Debian Project Leader, Scientist and Free Software Developer
To see more quotes from other people and why they love Free Software look at
our page "Why they
love Free Software"
- PageKite: We love Free Software
"In addition to being Valentine's day, today is the international "I love Free Software day". We had been planning to take part and use this opportunity to offer free service to people in the Free Software community, to show our thanks and hopefully make some new friends [...]"
- Karsten Gerloff: Why I love Free Software
"For today’s I love Free Software Day, I’ve thought a little about what makes me get behind the keyboard every morning. Turns out there are lots of reasons, but here are two of them [...]"
- Patrik Willard: Patrik <3 FS == true"I don’t suppose this comes as a great surprise to anyone who’ve spent more than 20 minutes with me, and while I do believe that I am pretty good at spreading the love to the various new projects I find and make good use of [...]"
- Myriam: Great students, great work done!
"[...] All this work would not be possible if KDE and Amarok were not Free Software as it empowers the users and the developers alike and gives great opportunities to students to improve their skills. That is just one of the reasons I love Free Software."
- Thorsten Gross: Heute ist “I love Free Software”-Day – warum nur heute?
German Blog entry, that says thank you to all the people that spread their knowledge instead of keeping it proprietary. A translated quote: "I love Free Software. Every Day!"
- Grübelkabinett: Eine kleine Liebeserklärung an freie Software
A german blog entry that argues while Valentine's Day is overvalued in her perspective, celebrating I Love Free Software makes a lot of sense.
- Massimo: Io ♥ il Software Libero
- Oskar Welzl: #ilovefs - ich hab (fast) alles gemacht
A german blog entry in which the author argues that he has done quite everything instead of hugging a developer: writing a blog entry, microblogging, talking to colleagues about Free Software [...]
Oskar Welzl: "having this above the door of my office makes my co-workers ask some questions (in a non-tech work environment)
Taken @ Obere Donaustr. 23, Vienna, Austria
Tweets and dents:
- @antolieztsu: Gracias a todos los desarrolladores y comunidad por darnos la oportunidad y enseñarnos que es posible ser libres, todos juntos #ilovefs [Translation: Thanks to all developers and communities to give us the opportunity and to show us that it is possible to be free, all together #ilovefs]
- @chorse: @Kirschner Thank you a lot for organizing today's event in the Unperfekthaus! I hope we have established a new tradition. #ilovefs !fsfe
- @CorporationMix: Éste #14defebrero declara tu amor al Software Libre. Recuerda que el SL es tuyo y nunca dejará de serlo #ilovefs [Translation: This February 14th declare your love for Free Software. Remind yourself that FS is yours and will never stop to be yours. #ilovefs]
- @HoppFrosch: Free software makes the (digital) world safer and more stable. It supports and boosts economy while it saves money & creates jobs. #ilovefs
- @jgbarah: I love #freesoftware, just because it loves me (and all of us), by design. Really. http://ur1.ca/7l5gp @ilovefs
- @mcb3k: Every day I use software that makes my life easier and more enjoyable. The best part is that I can share it with people! That's why #ilovefs
#ilovefs-event in the Unperfekthaus
This year, for the first time, we have been celebrating #ilovefs not only as
an online campaign. In addition we organised an #ilovefs-event in the
Unperfekthaus in Essen. For this event, we invited some speakers to give
talks on the topic of Free Software and even bands to play a concert in the
evening. Despite the fact that there were not as many visitors coming as we
would have loved to see at our first #ilovefs event, we were successful. The
organisation went fine and we received a lot of positive feedback from our
visitors, the speakers and the band members.
Here you can see some impressions from the event:
Room 404?? Maybe this is the explanation that there was a shortage of people coming: When they were looking for our event, it was just "not found" : )
A desk full of #ilovefs
Hartmut Müller speaking at #ilovefs about using Free Software as an enterprise
Angstalt, playing in the night at #ilovefs
Wolf-Dieter Zimmermann speaking at #ilovefs about netzwerkbildung.net