#ILOVEFS campaign 2013 - thank you for celebrating #ilovefs
Every year on February 14th people celebrate love, relationship with others.. and for the third year running, the wonders of Free Software. All around the world people expressed their love during the "I love Free software" day. We would like to thank you for participating, and share some lovely quotes, dents, tweets, blog entries and articles that were done because of your dedication to Free Software. When developers will read your declarations, they will definitely find extra energy to carry on their good work.
Quotes and blog entries
Gergely Nagy wrote a nice entry about his love for Free Software:
"[...] Whenever I'm feeling down, I take a piece of code, and make it better, then share it with the rest of the world. Knowing that I helped make the world turn, that I contributed to a good cause, a cause that helped me through difficult times - that makes me say that I do love Free Software. And so should you, because knowledge is our greatest asset, and free software helps keeping and improving our knowledge. Cherish it, improve it, love it."
According to Mirko Boehm, Free Software makes the world a better place:
"The benefits of Free Software go beyond the individual contributors and the communities they form. The four freedoms laid out as the foundations of Free Software are a fanfare to the ability to exercise one’s free will, to freely collaborate by helping your neighbors, to achieve independence from directions other people have thought up for us. The effects can be seen all around us – when teaching material for schools is developed collaboratively and freely shared, when government data is opened up to improve the transparency of the political process, when the technical foundations of the internet and the operating systems running modern technology become a common good, and in many other places. People start to expect similar freedoms they learned to get used to in software when engaging in society. And more participation is always better."
Other blog entries
- Arnold Guido:
This year, my Valentine’s “Thank You” goes to Roland Olbricht, creator and developer of the Overpass API for OpenStreetMap.org [...]
- Eike Rathke:
It's fun, it's adventure, it pays my bills, it even saves the world – ♥ a Free Software developer :-) [...]
- Erik Albers:
I would love to see this message going out to the people that decide on our daily lives, our legal and educational framework.
- Fortune Datko - Blog:
Much of the software I use on a daily basis is free software, including Emacs which I’m using to compose this post and WordPress, the software running this blog [...]
- Karsten Gerloff:
... today I want to highlight a couple of less prominent people and the software they’ve written. They’re not as well known, but they make an important contribution to my work and productivity. [...]
- Lionel Montrieux:
I Still Love Free Software ... and so should you. [...]
- Martin Gollowitzer:
Since today we celebrate I love FS day, I want to say thank you to everyone who is working for Free Software.
- Matija Suklje:
In such a world Free Software and Open Standards are the ones ensuring us basic human rights that we take in the real world for granted [...]
- Myriam's blog:
It’s this time of the year again, where we express our love for what and whom we like [...] Keep up the good work, folks
- ShutterTux - Photography, Linux and Life!:
Love in its purest form, 'unconditional' is the best. In our fast food society, seldom there is place for the unconditional love. If we exclude the love of mom for her child, then most other relations of love don’t hold strong to the bond of unconditional love. However, I feel privileged at the unconditional love showered by the people(developers, maintainers, users etc) of the "Free Software Foundation".
- Tobias Diekershoff:
Big thanks to everyone who is contributing to the free software Ecosphere that made half of my life so much fun [...]
- Yash Shah - Blog:
On this day of love, while people are busy with their significant others, I would like to show and celebrate my love for Free Software [...]
Some of the interesting dents and tweets on #ilovefs day:
- Christopher Webber: RT @tryggvib My life and freedom depend on free software. Thank you hackers for improving my life! #ilovefs
- Gergely Nagy: Another reason why I love FS is the crazy wild ideas people have. Thought experiments turning observable code are amazing! #ilovefs
- Laura Arjona: Thanks #freesoftware #devs #translators designers, #sysadmins an all kind of contributors, you empower citizenship science society#ilovefs
- Marcus Moeller: #ilovefs because freedom matters
- Renata Avila: #ilovefs to #developOA our communities are always full of ♥ to share, create, learn, imagine. #freesoftware and open content rock
- Samuel Landete: #ILoveFS because it has allowed me to learn and have fun at the same time - standing on the shoulders of giants! #ILoveAsturix
- Tryggvib: My life and freedom depend on free software. Thank you hackers for improving my life! #ilovefs
- 2013-02-14: Our German coordinator Matthias Kirschner answered a few questions about #ilovefs campaign in the Detektor FM radio.
- 2013-02-14: The H Online: FSFE proposes #ilovefs for 14 February
- 2013-02-14: Heise Online: #ilovefs: Am 14.2. ist "I love Free Software Day"
- 2013-02-14: Pro-Linux: »I Love Free Software Day« angekündigt
- 2013-02-14: TWAGO Das Magazin: Frohen Valentins- und Umarmt-einen-Programmierer-Tag!
- 2013-02-14: TWAGO IL Magazin: Buon San Valentino e… ama i programmatori!
- 2013-02-14: The TWAGO Magazine: Happy Valentine and... love the programmers!
- 2013-02-14: Wiidatabase: Changed logo of the zine
- 2013-02-14: BIT BLOKES: Heute ist "Ich mag Dich, freie Software"-Tag #ilovefs
- 2013-02-14: Japan.internet.com: フリーソフトウェアに感謝を捧げる日 「I love Free Software Day」
- 2013-02-14: Netzpolitik.org: Weitere Aktion am 14. Februar von der Free Software Foundation Europe: I love Free Software Day