FSFE seeking Executive Director
FSFE was established in 2001 as a multi-cultural distributed organisation with volunteers and staff distributed across various European countries. Its approach is that of a result driven NGO with emphasis on constructive dialogue for lasting political and legal change. As an environment FSFE has grown out of the Free Software community and is ideally suited to motivated individuals capable of driving projects and initiatives forward.
It will be the responsibility of the Executive Director to coordinate FSFE's day-to-day affairs through working with a mixed team of volunteers and employees. Further responsibilities include management of the organisational assets according to the priorities set by the General Assembly and coordination of the Executive Council.
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organisation, including
- Coordination of the Executive Council, consisting of Executive Director, President and Vice President;
- Coordination and motivation of mixed teams, including both volunteers and staff;
- Planning, budgeting and executing projects to reach strategic objectives of the organisation;
- Controlling the cash flow and budgeting of the organisation;
- Reporting to the General Assembly about fulfillment of strategic objectives, and potential adjustments during the year;
- Representation of the organisation towards the public;
- Fundraising and representation towards donors;
- Work with the General Assembly to determine priorities and identify ways to achieve objectives.
- University degree, or similar
- Knowledge of Free Software Community
- Business experience and understanding of non-profit management
- Knowledge of financial management and accounting
- Knowledge of staff management
- Proficient in use of Free Software applications, such as GNU/Linux, OpenOffice.org and others.
- Proficient in English
- Additional languages are beneficial, especially German
- Good communicator and interpersonal skills
- Result-oriented team player
- Good organisation and structuring skills
- Problem solving ability
- The executive director usually works in an office environment, but the mission of the organization may sometimes take them to non standard workplaces. Work from the home office is possible.
- The executive directors works a standard work week, but additionally will regularly have work on evenings, weekends, and overtime hours to accommodate activities such as meetings of the General Assembly and representing the organisation at public events.
- The position of Executive Director will provide many opportunities to work in a stimulating environment with people from different cultures on relevant issues that will continue to affect our societies for the decades to come.
- FSFE is unique in its structure and work as a decentralised international organisation with different activities and a mix of enthusiastic volunteers and staff in various countries.
- FSFE offers the opportunity to meet people from different areas of competency, and the chance to learn much about a variety of areas, such as technology, politics, and law.
- FSFE provides a high-responsibility and high-opportunity environment for people who like to work self-motivated and enjoy to shape their own working environment and projects to a high degree.
- The legal statutes of FSFE, which also partially define the role of the Executive Director, are available online at https://fsfe.org/about/legal/constitution.html
- FSFE's financial development over the past years is available at https://fsfe.org/about/funds/funds.html
How to apply
If you are interested in the position, please direct your application to the FSFE Executive Council at council -- AT -- fsfeurope.org, including a current CV and a letter of motivation. Please provide all information in Open Standards and do not send Microsoft Word documents.
We will review all applications and seek personal interviews with the most promising applicants. In case you are accepted for the position, you should be prepared to join the General Assembly 19-21 June in Miraflores de la Sierra, Spain.