The FSFE is looking for an office assistant
We are looking for an office assistant to support our work to empower people to control technology. The person will work 15-35 hours per week with our team in the Berlin office and will support the FSFE's Berlin office operations.
About the FSFE
Free Software Foundation Europe is a charity that empowers users to control technology. Software is deeply involved in all aspects of our lives and it is important that technology empowers rather than restricts us. Free Software gives everybody the rights to use, understand, adapt, and share software. These rights help support other fundamental freedoms like freedom of speech, press, and privacy.
The FSFE helps individuals and organisations to understand how Free Software contributes to freedom, transparency, and self-determination. It enhances users' rights by abolishing barriers to Free Software adoption, encourages people to use and develop Free Software, and provides resources to enable everyone to further promote Free Software in Europe.
We are involved in legal, economic, political, and technical projects around Free Software (see our work areas and our campaigns).
Our work is made possible by a community of volunteers, supporters, donors, and staff. The office assistant's job will be to be the administrative backbone of our operations.
- Reviewing financial documents, preparing them for accounting, and general filing.
- Compiling a monthly salary report for salary service.
- Paying invoices and salaries as well as travel expense claims.
- Issue outgoing invoices and monitor incoming payments.
- Communication with health insurance, bank, insurances, and other authorities.
- Office management.
- Issuing of donation receipts.
- You have completed a relevant education and already have work experience.
- Fluency in written and spoken German, intermediate command of written and spoken English; other European languages are considered an asset.
- Very reliable, well-organised, and supportive of colleagues.
- Basic knowledge of accounting and tax law.
- Knowledge and experience in understanding the financial side of the charitable non-profit sector are an advantage.
- Knowledge of how to handle the administrative side of EU-funded projects are desired.
- Knowledge of the Free Software field and affinity with the FSFE's values and mission are desired.
- Knowledge of how to use a GNU/Linux laptop is a plus.
We are looking for a reliable, well-organised, and punctual team player who will ensure the reliable handling of office procedures and thus support us in making the world better for future generations.
How to apply
To apply, please send a maximum one-page cover letter -- including the desired hours per week and your desired wage for this -- and a maximum two-page CV (only PDFs are accepted) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject “office assistant”. Please do not include pictures of yourself in the application.
Your personal data will be deleted 3 months after we have made our decision. The closing date for applications is Sunday 18 October 2020.
Free Software is meant to serve everyone regardless of their age, ability or disability, gender identity, sex, race, religion, or sexual orientation. Hence, we encourage applications from all backgrounds and promise to judge all applications on merit, without reference to any of the characteristics listed. To promote diversity and equality in the Free Software community, we shall give preference to applicants who identify as part of a traditionally marginalised demographic in technology for applications of equal strength.