I Love Free Software Day
We often underestimate the power of a simple Thank You. Free Software contributors do important work for our society and they deserve attention. The "I love Free Software Day" on 14 February (also known as Valentine's Day) is the perfect opportunity for you to express your special gratitude.
In the Free Software community, we expect a lot of work from Free Software project maintainers. We want that our bug reports are dealt with quickly and demand new features from people who often spend their sparse volunteer time on Free Software code, translations, tests, or design. There is nothing wrong about this because constructive feedback helps us to further improve and keeps Free Software projects alive. But it is also important to show some appreciation to those who work so selflessly throughout the year for us! You can show your love for Free Software by saying thank you to your favourite Free Software project or contributor.
The yearly "I love Free Software Day" allows you to make 14 February a day full of positive, creative and lovely messages for the whole community. Together, we can celebrate software freedom that empowers us.
I ♥ Free Software Day 2023: Meet and Connect
For the past years we hardly had the chance to meet each other in person. Now we are bringing back in person meetings for the "I Love Free Software Day". Let's celebrate our love for Free Software - you are invited!
The "I Love Free Software Day" has been a tradition that lasts years. On this day we thank all the people behind Free Software projects or programs and let them know that their work does not go unnoticed. Let's celebrate together all the wonderful people working for Free Software. Therefore you are invited to join "I Love Free Software Day" celebrations all across Europe. Connect with your local FSFE group and organise a fun meetup.
We are grateful to those who work and contribute to the Free Software universe: developers, designers, translators, advocates, donors, users, and more. There are a lot of different Free Software communities out there, with different values or different focuses in their work. But we all share our love for Free Software and value the freedom to use, study, share and improve software. Let's meet and connect! Let's show our appreciation with a simple "Thank you!"
Join the party
You want to celebrate with other Free Software enthusiasts? Here are some of the meetings happening around Europe
- I ♥ Free Software Day Party in Berlin at C-Base (Rungestraße 20, 10179 Berlin) with pizza, cake and music. They start at 16:30 with an "Upcycling Android Workshop". Please register for joining.
- Meetup in Hamburg at Quan 19 (Rentzelstr. 6, 20146 Hamburg). The meeting starts at 19:00 (CET). For all of you who want to join you can drop by and enjoy "I Love Free Software Day"
- Pizza party in Frankfurt in the local Chaos Computer Club. Stop by and join them! If you want to join please send an e-mail to email@example.com and keep in mind that an FFP2 mask is required. The party starts at 19:00 (CET).
- For those near Thesaaloniki, Greece, there is an "Free Software and privacy" party happening at 18:30 (CET) in the "Ypsilon" first floor, Edessis 5, 546 25. For this please register.
- Netherlands team meets in Arnhem, at the Momento (Oude Oeverstraat 98, 6811 JZ Arnhem, Nederland) at 19:00 (CET). Please send an mail to the Dutch mailing list.
- The Italian community meets online. They start at 17:30 (CET) and you can join them in this virtual room
- Meetup in Swiss! Three Swiss local groups, Zurich, Basel, and St. Gallen invite you to join them for drinks, food and most importantly the celebation of ‘I Love Free Software Day’. They meet in the Bitwäscherei in Zurich at 17:00 (CET) and at 18:00 they take a group picture.
- The local group in Potterie (UK) will meet at the Innovation Centre 1 building, Keele University, ST5 5NB, Staffordshire, United Kingdom. The "I Love Free Software" celebration beginn at 18:30 (GMT).
- Madrid celebrates "I Love Free Software Day" from 18:30 (CET) at the MakerSpace Madrid, C. de la Arquitectura, 18, 28005 Madrid, Spain
- "I Love Free Software Day" celebration in Barcelona will be a bit delyed on the 16th of February at 18:15 (CET) at the Ubicación, 21 Carrer d'En Bot 08002 Barcelona, Spain. Contact the group to get the location and more information
- In Lisbon you can celebrate your love for Free Software with others at the Tecnico Lisboa (Alameda Campus, Av. Rovisco Pais, 1049-001 Lisboa). They event takes place in the VA2 room and everyone who is attending this years MiniDebConf should step by! The event takes place from 14:00 to 15:00 (GMT).
Improve Free Software
Talking is silver, contributing is gold! Help a Free Software project with code, a translation, or by assisting its users. Or if you can, please consider a donation to a Free Software organisation like the FSFE, or to a Free Software project.
What is your contribution to this special day dedicated to the people who enable you to use Free Software? Will you use our stickers and balloons? Or make a picture or video with your new ILoveFS shirt? And what about celebrating software freedom with your colleagues and friends at a company gathering or public event? Whatever you do, show it to the world by using the #ilovefs tag. And if you have questions, just drop us an email.
Happy I Love Free Software Day everyone! ❤